As you may already know, beginning in the 2018-19 school year, District 214 students will have the opportunity to earn the Seal of Biliteracy, state recognition for proficiency in English and one or more foreign languages. In addition, receiving the Illinois State Board of Education’s Seal of Biliteracy will give District 214 students an opportunity to earn college credit.
To qualify for the Seal of Biliteracy, seniors must:
- Earn a minimum composite score of 21 on an official administration of the ACT, OR
- Reach the ACT college readiness benchmark of 18 for the English subject area test OR
- Earn a minimum score of 540 on the Evidenced Based Reading and Writing portion of an official administration of the SAT, OR
- Earn a minimum overall composite score of 4.8 on the ACCESS for ELLs exam
- Have earned a 4 or a 5 on the AP language exam, OR
- Earn a minimum of an I-5 on all components of ACTFL’s Assessment of Performance toward Proficiency in Languages (AAPPL) exam, a minimum of Intermediate High on all components of AVANT’s STAMP 4S exam, or a minimum of B1 on the Standard Test of Bulgarian as a Foreign Language. The following languages can be assessed with the AAPPL exam: Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin), French, German, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, and Thai. The AVANT STAMP 4S assessment is offered for Hebrew and Polish. The Standard Test of Bulgarian as a Foreign Language will be offered through the Consulate General of the Republic of Bulgaria. For more information about this assessment, please contact Angela Sisi at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If awarded, the Seal of Biliteracy will be placed on the student's diploma and transcript. Students can receive the seal in languages taught in and out of the District. To learn more about qualifying for the Seal of Biliteracy and costs, please visit page 30 of our 2018-19 Academic Handbook.
For more information on the Seal of Biliteracy, please visit this link at ISBE. https://www.isbe.net/Pages/Illinois-State-Seal-of-Biliteracy.aspx
AAPPL and AVANT STAMP language tests will be offered to Seniors only on two different dates, September 17 or September 25 from 4:00pm - 6:00pm at Forest View Educational Center, 2121 S. Goebbert Rd, Arlington Heights, IL 60005. Registration will open on August 15 and close on September 5. Please check back here for the link to register. Seating is limited and will be only open until all spots are filled. The cost for both exams will be $25, which includes an administrative fee.
If you have any questions in the meantime, please contact Angela Sisi, Director of Language Development at email@example.com or at (847)718-7836.