DECA Business Club
What is DECA?
DECA is an international association of high school and college students studying marketing, management and entrepreneurship. DECA used to stand for Distributive Education Clubs of America, but that name ended up being just too hard to remember. The term DECA is still used because it is such a well known acronym throughout the education and business world but it is now shortened to the Greek letters Delta Epsilon Chi. There are four areas of life-long learning that DECA instills in its members and advisers: Vocational Understanding, Civic Consciousness, Leadership Development, and Social Intelligence. Keep up with our group on Twitter and Facebook.
Why join DECA?
If you are considering majoring in any area of business in college and thinking about working somewhere in the business world then DECA is for you. DECA provides a great opportunity for students and advisors to get involved in the business world, community service projects, leadership conferences, marketing field trips and local, state and national competitions. We encourage you to take as many business classes as possible here at Hersey, but DECA will provide the out-of-classroom, real-world experience business experience that textbooks cannot provide. You will work, network, and compete with other business students throughout the area, state, and nation.
SIGN UP FOR THE DECA BUSINESS CLUB!!!
- D214 Event - Friday, November 11th (During the day @ FVEC)
- Hersey In-House Event - Sometime in January (Evening @ Hersey)
- Regional Event - Tuesday, January 24th (During the day @ Rosemont Convention Center)
- State Event - Thursday through Saturday, March 9th - 11th (Hyatt Regency O'Hare)
- International Event - Wednesday thru Saturday, April 26th - 29th (Anaheim, CA)
DECA Competitive Events
Click here to go to DECA.org's Competitive Events webpage. There you will be able to read event descriptions, guidelines, performance indicators, events exams, and event role plays. You will need to scroll down to see all of the rookie, individual, and team events.
- Principles of Business Management & Administration (PBM) Individual
- Principles of Finance (PFN) Individual
- Principles of Hospitality & Tourism (PHT) Individual
- Principles of Marketing (PMK) Individual
- Accounting Applications (ACT) Individual
- Apparel & Accessories Marketing (AAM) Individual
- Automotive Services Marketing (ASM) Individual
- Business Finance (BFS) Individual
- Business Services Marketing (BSM) Individual
- Food Marketing (FMS) Individual
- Hotel & Lodging Management (HLM) Individual
- Human Resource Management (HRM) Individual
- Marketing Management (MMS) Individual
- Quick Serve Restaurant Management (QSRM) Individual
- Restaurant & Food Service Management (RFSM) Individual
- Retail Merchandising (RMS) Individual
- Sports & Entertainment Marketing (SEM) Individual
Team Events (Partners)
- Business Law & Ethics (BLTDM) TEAM
- Buying & Merchandising (BTDM) TEAM
- Financial Analysis (FTDM) TEAM
- Hospitality Services (HTDM) - TEAM
- Marketing Communications (MTDM) TEAM
- Sports & Entertainment Marketing (STDM) - TEAM
- Travel & Tourism (TTDM) - TEAM
DECA Role Plays
The DECA Business Club is truly defined by its role plays. Individuals and partners are given a random real-world business scenarios and problem that they must disect, solve, and then present their ideas to judges. DECA members have to throw themselves into the roles they are given and answer the question, "What would I do if I were in this situation?" Students usually have 10-30 minutes to come up with their solution and then another 10-30 minutes to sell their concept to judges. DECA Role Plays help students think on their feet, solve problems, enhance their creativity, and most importantly, convey their ideas through professional communication.
- If you want to get ready for scholarship and job interviews ... DECA Role Plays will get you ready!
- If you want to get over your fear of public speaking ... DECA Role Plays will smack that fear in the face!
- If you want to have a solid, firm hand shake (VERY important, by the way) ... DECA Role Plays will grip you!
- If you want to be the person that adults are just impressed with ... DECA Role Plays will transform you!
Role Play Examples:
- If you would like to read and practice a few DECA Role Plays, click here and find your event. Look for "Sample Event" on the right side of the screen and click on it to view a practice role play in your event. You can also go to Google and search "DECA Role Plays" and there are hundreds of example videos online.
- If you would like to know how Vesper would set up his scratch paper during a role play, click here.
- Click here for a list of key business, marketing, and economic terms that help you in your role play, economics test, and everyday life.